Friday 4 April 2008

A heart for the lost?

It's obvious to most careful Bible readers that the parables of Luke 15 - the lost sheep, the lost coin, and the lost Son (often called "prodigal") - are spoken to critical Pharisees(v1).
So in the Lost Son, the key contrast is between the father and the elder son, for these two characters represent the main protagonists in the debate: namely, the One Jesus represents, His Father, and the Pharisees.
The father has a passionate heart for his lost son; so God also is passionately concerned for the lost. The elder son cares nothing for the lost, only for advantage won by his loyalty; so to the Pharisee cared nothing for the lost, but only that his piety bring spiritual privilege.
I was left wondering, as I finished reading these familiar words, two things:
1. When will I actually finish mining the treasure of Scripture?
2. When will I have a heart so concerned for the lost that I am not a Pharisee?

No comments: